In this video, Jes Thompson and Heidi Kirby answer instructional design interview questions. Portfolios can tell you a lot about a candidate’s design skills, but the role of an instructional designer is more than just designing the learning experience. So how do you determine which candidates can do the whole ID process and not just design? Check out this video as Jes Thompson and Heidi Kirby answer five of the Top 10 Questions to Ask When Interviewing Instructional Designers.
Questions answered in this video:
1) Tell me about a time when you persuaded a stakeholder, SME, or team member to see things your way. What was the situation, and how did you convince them?
2) Think about one of your most recent ID projects. Can you explain your design process from idea to implementation?
3) Tell me about a time when you had to lead a meeting or facilitate a training virtually. How did you keep the participants engaged?
4) Tell me about a time when you wanted to make a particular design decision, but a certain SME, stakeholder, or team member overruled you. What was the situation, and how did you handle it?
5) What are some of your personal and professional goals?
10 Questions to Ask When Interviewing Instructional Designers: http://en.atdchina.com.cn/atd-blog/10-questions-to-ask-when-interviewing-instructional-designers
Connect with Jes Thompson
Connect with Heidi Kirby
The BLOC Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bloc-podcast/id1523099111
Interested in submitting a question for a future video? Every month we solicit your questions on LinkedIn and Twitter around a common topic. You can submit your questions by posting on LinkedIn or Twitter with the #ATDAskATrainer hashtag. Check out the complete ATD Ask a Trainer advice column at http://en.atdchina.com.cn/ask-a-trainer.